Monday, May 28, 2007

To Leave is To Live

Exactly two months ago, the self found himself aboard a ship. He was going home. A risky decision was made. He wanted to serve his people in the island, primarily to protect the island from biodiversity devastation. By the way, the self's island is where the world's densest forest flourishes, the Philippine's cleanest inland body of water flows and the majestic Mt. Guiting-Guiting dwells.

The NGO where he belongs wanted the self to be in the town's council, to be the youngest perhaps. He did not join any line-ups for such would defeat the principles of the organization. He ran as independet.

Came May 14, the self lost. He got 2,637 votes: honest votes. He was ranked 16th out of 17 candidates (the 17th being an independent candidate as well). He did not buy votes. He did not cheat. His pollwatchers were all volunteers (but they were compensated).

The self won. He won in the hearts of those who still believe in pure intentions and clean politics. He stood with his principles. He won for he believed in himself.

The journey must continue.

Leaving home was a decision yet to be comtemplated. 'Why did you leave the island?', someone asked. 'You are still needed here.'

'I don't know', I replied. 'You made me leave.'

In my heart, I shall leave to have more life so that when I come home again I shall have more strength to serve my people. I shall leave for I shall look for some other selves to help me face home.



No comments: